About Hauwa Yakubu
Hauwa Yakubu is a Solicitor and Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria and the Head of Division (Abuja) and Assistant Chief Registrar at the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.
A pioneer mediator in Nigeria, she is the immediate past Deputy Director of the National Industrial Court (NICN) Alternative Dispute Centre, the first court-connected mediation center in the Nigerian judiciary. The NICN ADR Centre was established to resolve disputes arising from labor, employment, workplace, and industrial relations matters between parties by using the process of mediation and/or conciliation. The NICN ADR Centre uses mediation and/or conciliation techniques to assist parties in resolving their disputes in a speedy, efficient and inexpensive process.
Ms. Yakubu is a certified mediator with practical experience mediating cases at a private law firm, where she worked in litigation for over five years. She brings her in-depth knowledge of labor law disputes and administrative matters to her mediations. She is also a seasoned mediation trainer.
As a caseworker and trainee solicitor in the firm of G.D Ayanbanji & Co., Ms. Yakubu gained extensive knowledge in general litigation practice, as well as in the following legal areas:
- Legal research,
- Reporting and advocacy in both lower and superior courts
- Law office management
- Administrative law
- Civil litigation
- Commercial and company law
- Human rights, and labor law
Since accreditation in 2014, Ms. Yakubu has served as a mediator at the NICN ADR Center. Her mediation experience includes matters in the following areas:
- Labor law, including: matters arising from employment, conditions of service, health, safety, and welfare of employee/worker
- Industrial actions – disputes arising from strikes, lockouts, picketing, etc.
- Wages, such as: disputes arising from payment or non-payment of wages, pension, gratuities, allowances, benefits, and other entitlement of any employee or worker
- Unfair labor practices or international best practices in labor matters
- Discrimination or sexual harassment in the workplace
- Trade Union disputes and collective bargaining