Kennedy Owuor Odhiambo
Senior Fellow – Kenya
Kennedy Owuor Odhiambo is an established lawyer and accredited mediator working in Kenya. He is currently the Head of Legal and Advisory Services at the Kenya Coast Guard Service.
About Kennedy Owuor Odhiambo
Kennedy Odhiambo has been working as a lawyer in Kenya since 1999 and is currently the Head of Legal and Advisory Services at the Kenya Coast Guard Service. He is also an accredited mediator through the Kenya Judiciary Mediation Accreditation Committee (MAC). Previously, he served on the mediation panel at the Strathmore Dispute Resolution Centre (SDRC) in Kenya.
In 2019, Mr. Odhiambo was selected as a Weinstein JAMS International Fellow in recognition of his commitment to ADR and international peacemaking. In the same year, he was awarded the JAMS Dispute Resolution Scholarship to pursue a Master of Law (LLM) degree at the prestigious Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine Caruso School of Law.
At the Straus Institute, Mr. Odhiambo developed his dispute resolution skills and successfully mediated small claims cases in courts throughout the greater Los Angeles area. Upon returning to his country, he plans to contribute to the strengthening of alternative dispute resolution systems by promoting the adoption of best international practices pertaining to ADR. Mr. Odhiambo is also keen to explore avenues to work with underserved communities throughout Kenya using restorative justice practices.
- Represents government and state agencies in complex litigation including judicial review, probate, civil, and commercial disputes
- Member of the Court Users Committee (CUC) of Kenya
- Pro bono mediation for the Center for Conflict Resolution (CCR), where he assisted in the resolution of small claims disputes for the Los Angeles Superior Court, 2020
- Panel member on the Mediation Accreditation Committee of the Judiciary of Kenya where he volunteered in the court annexed commercial and family mediation program involving pre-mediation conferencing, co-mediation, and the mediation of family and commercial referrals, 2018-2019
- Panel member at the Strathmore Dispute Resolution Centre where he participated in the first-of-its-kind banking sector mediation pilot as a trainer, and also as a trainer for new mediators, 2010