About Harbey Peña Sandoval
Harbey Peña Sandoval is a lawyer with more than eighteen years of experience in the field of conflict resolution and ADR. He is currently associate ombudsperson for the Inter-American Development Bank in Washington, D.C. and previously served as ADR Advisor for the Justice and Government Division at the National Planning Department, Bogota.
As ADR Advisor, he was responsible for the design and development of a national ADR project to strengthen and promote dispute resolution services in rural post-conflict areas, part of the implementation of the final agreement to end armed conflict and build a stable and lasting peace between the government and rebel forces (FARC).
He has worked as Coordinator of the Conciliation and Arbitration Group in the Ministry of Interior and Justice of Colombia and as Director of the Conciliation Project for the municipal Office of Transit and Transport in Bogotá. He also teaches as ADR Professor at the School of Law of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia and the School of Psychology at Universidad Santo Tomas in Bogota.
- Attorney, facilitator, negotiator, and mediator, with over thirteen years of experience
- Professor of alternative dispute resolution and conflict resolution, with fourteen years of teaching experience
- Coordinator of projects about conflict resolution, rule of law, and access to justice
- Public policy advisor at national and local agencies in Colombia
- Experienced with organizational conflict analysis and conflict management systems design
Mr. Peña has mediated over 150 cases in civil, commercial, labor, and family matters, and has served in the following roles:
- ADR Advisor, Justice and Government Division at the National Planning Department, Bogota, Colombia (2014 – Present)
- Advisor for the Commercial Mediation Project, Mediation and Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogota, Bogota, Colombia (2013)
- Senior Advisor Mediation, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), Bogota, Colombia, (2001-2013)
- International Consultant, Office of the Ombudsman at the Pan American Health Organization, Washington D.C., USA (2011-2012)
- Attorney, Access to the Justice Division, Ministry of Interior and Justice, Bogota, Colombia (2003-2009)
- Attorney, Legal Office, Department of Motor Vehicles, Bogota, Colombia (2001-2003)
- Legal Advisor, Centro Nacional de Conciliación del Transporte, Bogota, Colombia (2000-2001)